Monday, October 12, 2009

Some of my favourite things

Idea leuconoe
Idea Leuconoe or Paper Kite


One event I look forward to each year is the Butterflies Go Free exhibit at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. (Typically it runs from mid-February to early April.) This year I visited the exhibit on three separate occasions.

I split my time there between the butterflies and the floral exhibits. Though this year I must admit I was a bit disappointed in the orchids. Just didn't seem to as many as in previous years.

Going at different times during the 8 weeks or so that the exhibit ran, allowed me to see a few butterflies I've not seen in previous years.

These are some of the new sightings this year:

caterpillar
Attacus atlas (Cobra moth) caterpillar


White Morpho
Morpho Polyphemus (White Morpho)


Cecropia moth
Hyalophora cecropia (Cecropia moth)


Banded peacock butterfly
Papilio palinurus (Banded peacock)



Hope you enjoyed these images of some of my favourite things

Remember that clicking on any image on this page will open the image in my Smugmug site, where you can view a larger version. Please use your browser's "Back" button to return to the Blog.

Other images from my three visits to the Botanical Gardens this year can be seen in these galleries:
        Visit 26 February 2009 - Flowers
        Visit 26 February 2009 - Butterflies
        Visit 17 March 2009 - Flowers
        Visit 17 March 2009 - Butterflies
        Visit 26 April 2009 - Butterflies & flowers

Please feel free to leave comments here on the blog, in my Guestbook or in any of the photo galleries.

Thanks for looking. And please stop by again.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the cobra moth caterpillar Gene and thanks for posting the banded peacock, I photographed one at the Niagara Butterfly Conservatory but never knew what it was. Your photo is better than mine btw :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the comments, Ron. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete